Translate

Saturday, March 23, 2013

You can get HIV from THAT??



A stylist offered me an earring to go with my outfit.

I asked, "Is this your earring?" to which they replied, "Yes."

I had personal knowledge that this person was HIV positive. I wasn't about to risk my life for an earring.

I didn't say anything, and just left the earring on the table. I looked at them like, "Ummkay.."

Maybe they didn't know what the problem was?

I suppose this speaks to my
A) Being a conspiracy theorist and,
B) Being a conspiracy theorist and not trusting "facts" given to the public about what's safe and what isn't.

I admit, I don't believe a lot of what's said about HIV, specifically, the ways we're told we CANNOT contract it. I think many truths are omitted because if  fully aware of the ALL the ways we could get it, we'd  never leave the house. As a confirmed conspiracy theorist I rarely ever think a cigar is just a cigar.

The name of the game is Safety, and you can't always rely on the Department of Health to provide it. I always say do your own homework and protect yourself. Don't be surprised if the CDC comes out with a "We Didn't Know That Then" campaign down the road like they did with cancer from cigarettes. And the dangers of microwaves. And blood transfusions. And mercury. And asbestos. And you get the picture.

Compiled are a few ways people can contract the virus but may not consider. We are often such a trusting society, certain things never enter our minds. Of course, the ways mentioned are contingent upon someone already having HIV, but that doesn't mean they don't count. I think most can agree that when it comes to the business of HIV, most people will absolutely not tell you if they have it. In certain instances and for the sake of protection, it might be safer to simply pretend they do.


Ways We Don't Think About Getting HIV:


Your Doctor, Nurse or Dental Professional


When was the last time you asked your doctor or dentist their HIV status? Doctors, nurses nor dentists are required to disclose their HIV status or any other health issues. The American Medical Association and the American Dental Association strongly urge their members NOT to engage in activities that carry risk of HIV transmission, however, it's  suggested not required. Look for any cuts, scratches, sores, lesions or skin rashes on any medical professional that touches you. These are people that come into contact with the bodily fluids, disorders, god-knows-what of other people everyday. Don't just assume that because they're a doctor they're disease free. You have no idea what conditions these medical professionals have and by law, they don't have to tell you.



Earrings




True, HIV doesn't live outside the body for long, but if someone shares earrings with you (or other piercings) you should sterilize them before using them. This includes earrings, nose rings, navel rings, Marilyn moles, etc., just bought from a store. You can't be sure whom, if anyone, tried them on before you. Don't chance it! Sterilizing will eliminate not only HIV but other skin infections. If there's blood on the earring or any type of "bodily fluid" that you can't see, you could be taking a risk. Sterilize with rubbing alcohol, and be able to sleep at night :)



Giving Blood


 
Disposable needles are supposed to be used just once and that's all. The key words are SUPPOSED TO. Make sure you see with your own eyes that the needle placed in your arm is brand new and sterile. When outside of the US or other western countries, it's important to remember not all developing countries have access to sterile needles. Watch it!



  Eyeliner


Remember, the lining of your lower eyelid is moist, and is kept moist by BODILY FLUID. If
someone uses their eyeliner, then passes it to you, some of that fluid could mingle with your fluid and the next thing you know..

Yep.

Is looking like Cleopatra worth it? Sharing eye make-up is also an excellent way of getting conjunctivitis (pink eye) so basically, if you don't have your own, you might wanna SKIP IT. 



 Getting a Tattoo


Again with the needles. Make sure whomever is giving you the tattoo is using sterilized equipment and a fresh needle. Express your art, don't die from it.



Crack Pipes


Some public health agencies have reported that it might be possible to contract HIV by sharing a crack pipe. The theory is that smoking crack with a homemade crack pipe can cause burns or sores on the lips, which can lead to transmission of diseases between crack users who have burns or sores. Herpes and hepatitis are the major concerns, but it's been theorized that HIV might be transmitted this way as well.






Surgery


Going to get cheap plastic surgery in a burgeoning third-world country? You might get you more than you bargained for. Do your research on the facility and medical staff. Getting a butt lift for a third of the price might sound ideal, but not if you get something you can't get rid of.



Getting Bit


If someone with HIV bites you and breaks the skin.. well.. you might wanna start doing some of the things on your bucket list. You can also try PEP if you are exposed to HIV to help reduce the risk. Gotta act fast though.




Using Someone's Razor


Unfortunately, the razor you're borrowing isn't gonna say, "I cut the last person that used me.." You may not be able to see exactly what's on that razor. Blood, fluids, skin, whatever. Don't use any one's razor but your own. Your health is worth more than getting rid of a little stubble!



Sports


Boxing, Kickboxing, Cage Fighting, and other bloody martial art forms are currently the only sports which HIV positive people are outwardly discouraged from engaging. Due to the large amounts of cuts, nicks and blood, the risks of contracting a disease are highly increased. They say you can't get HIV through sweat but be careful none-the-less.



 From your Barber


If he/she cut or nicked your neck or head, you could be exposed. If they nicked the person before you and didn't thoroughly sanitize their tools, you could be at risk. If they themselves have any cuts or nicks that are open and/or bleed, pay attention. Don't be so blindly trusting. Do you know the HIV status of your barber? Be sure to check the tools being used on you. Make sure they've been properly sanitized.   



Cleaning Bloodstains from Floors and Clothes



Cleaning blood fresh or dried should ALWAYS be done with latex gloves. The HIV virus does not remain viable outside the body for very long. Detergent and bleach will easily destroy HIV, but you CAN get it if you come into direct contact with it.These socks are so "Dexter", no?



Toothbrushes

First off, I think using someone else's toothbrush is disgusting, but for those who don't I have another "D" word for you: DEADLY. Gums bleed ALL THE TIME. You never know what is IN or ON the bristles of the toothbrush you're borrowing. Toothbrushes can be what, $0.99?? Just buy a new toothbrush and call it a day. 




Condoms 


All condoms are not created equal. Lambskins feel more "realistic", but they do not protect against HIV. Pregnancy yes. HIV no. Stick to latex. 

Or marry her and use nothing. :)

 

I'll admit, first off, I'm a germaphobe, so if you even cough in my direction expect a full spraying of Lysol your way. Second, I admit the above scenarios are extreme and probably highly unlikely, but still, it never hurts to arm yourself with a little extra knowledge. Sometimes it's better to be paranoid than sorry..







4 comments:

  1. This is the problem with open blogs; any clown with internet access can write any random thought, theory or feeling they have and profess it to be a truth without any creditable backing. If you aren't going to at least quote a source, could you be so kind as to have a bibliography attached? This is carelessness at it's worst. Are you some sort of medical doctor? Did you get this from a creditable source? Or is just your hood thoughts, awakened in an idiot cypher and written down to show us how deep and knowledgable you are compared to the other 85%??

    Please stop this b.s...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was written and well researched I can assure you. I am a woman of integrity. That is all the "credible backing" I will offer.

      Of course, if you don't think this information is true or disagree so strongly that you feel the need to hurl insults, simply don't come back here. This piece was meant to help prevent the contraction of HIV, not to raise blood pressure.

      The good news is, you are more than free to research what was listed. Why ask me when you can be your own authority?

      I will say that the REAL problem with open blogs my friend, is the "anonymous" option. I personally, don't like helping cowards hide.

      But such is life, no? Thanks for your comment.

      Ciao.

      Delete
  2. Standing behind an "anonymous" nom de plum as I do, is akin to you hiding behind your "integrity". If you wish us to live on just your words, than you deserve nothing more than mine as well. I'm sorry you felt that me asking you for where in which you got your information from was too "insulting" for you to answer.
    Did you know that women are the inferior sex therefore biologically aren't equipped to lead men? Don't believe me? You are more than free to research it for yourself.
    See what I just did there?
    Random ignorance masquerading as fact, now wanting for an audience to either verify or refute my findings.
    You're either lazy, lonely, brilliant or all 3 since I am giving you hits. LOL.
    Oh, and my questions were rhetorical.
    Calling me a cowards because I didn't find this personal enough is almost comical.

    Does that ever work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not feel your request for links was insulting although your tone was. I simply didn't feel I have to provide them. In truth, I went to so many sites at this point I can't. I don't remember all of the sources I borrowed from. If I did, I still wouldn't post them.

    Next time ask me nicely.

    I will tell you however, that I employ Google quite a bit, and I researched this entry for about a good week. As I said previously, anything that you dispute, you can certainly look up yourself. Never before in history has it been so easy.

    None of what I wrote is "random ignorance masquerading as fact." If you know anything about the contraction of HIV, you know that it's transmitted through blood and/or bodily fluids. NONE of my examples are bereft of that. True, in many of the instances I suggested the HIV virus can only be found in trace amounts, thus making it highly unlikely that one would get it, but I MADE THAT CLEAR.

    I also made clear that I'm a germaphobe, paranoid and I don't believe what we're told about how the virus is transmitted (i.e., trace amounts NOT being dangerous).

    I was very specific in my mentioning.

    And to answer you yes, I'm brilliant. Thank you for the recognition.

    I respect opinions more when they are attached to a name. I think most people would, especially when the anonymous comment is breathing fire.

    Tata friend, and thank you for the hits.

    -WTS.

    ReplyDelete