Translate

Friday, August 17, 2012

TOPFREE: A New Move In the Womens' Movement

There's a new sheriff in town. Or rather, a new movement. T.I.T.S., an acronym for 'Topfree In The Square.'  Based in NYC's Union Square, these women who bare their breasts in public are not ashamed or concerned with what anyone has to say.

By baring their breasts, they're baring themselves.

A wonderful and revolutionary woman, and my blog sister Helese Talks  explains just what this movement is, and why it's important. Here are a few excerpts from her blog:

I’m not trying to prove anything, only share my experiences with my new movement, a movement of one, (or should I say three: me and my two breasts.) T.I.T.S. is an acronym for Topfree in the Square, and beginning a few weeks ago I have been going topfree, on random days, in Union Square.

One of my purposes for the movement is to bring up a few points: I think it says a lot about our society and culture when we:

1) Shun the sight of the human body in its natural form

2) Allow our children to view violence but we are afraid to be naked in front of them

3) Spend more time trying make a woman put her shirt back on rather than helping people who truly need help

4) Are openly sexist, and have no problem with a man baring his chest, when the breasts of a woman are nurturing and generally fare better when they are not strapped down, pushed up and out or otherwise covered where the skin can’t breathe and the lymph isn’t free to move around...

While sitting in the Square (Union Square, New York City) yesterday, two young girls who could have been anywhere from ages 14 to 19 came up to me while I was topfree, working on my laptop. They were shy, trendily dressed, beautiful, and they asked me “Um, why are you like… that?” I calmly answered, “It’s my right.” They slowly came to understand, but that answer gave them pause.

“It’s legal; anywhere a man can be topfree a woman can be, in New York City.” (This law is People vs. Santorelli, if you’re curious.)

I believe that personal liberation comes from living your life like you were the first one to ever do it.  I am extremely proud and honored to be a part of this much larger movement of women’s liberation, human sexuality, and sexual politics.

We're proud of you sis. Although not my personal preference, I respect the rights of other women to do this. We applaud your bravery, your determination, and your commitment to bring about positive change in the lives of others. Kudos to you!! Truly the type of woman WTS likes to feature.


Although along the same lines, I doubt this woman was trying to make a political statement. I imagine it still took courage though. That, and a touch of crazy. Handle it lady.. 



Linkage: http://helesetalks.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/topfreedom-the-right-to-bare-breasts/


So uh..anyone reading this if you feel so inclined just for the sake of it..


Show me your tits :P


No comments:

Post a Comment