Translate

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Shhh..Shutting Up Is An Act of Nature



I practiced the Art of Silence some days ago. After a brief meditation, my mind told me not talk to but to LISTEN for the rest of day. To let myself absorb voices instead of being one. Not only did I hear what was truly being said by others, but it made me think of the role Silence itself plays in the Universe, thus making me value it more.

Trees.
Flowers.
Grass.

All grow in silence.

No need to be right.
No need to be heard.

Opinions have no sound waves in the functions of nature.

Sunrays with their intensity. Their healing ability. Their harming ability. With all the Sun does and is expected to do..

It remains soundless. Quietly loving. Transforming sunlight into plant food without a whisper. Darkening skin without a peep.

Even tears falling down a face are warm but MUTED.

Silence is the truest tone of the Universe. When eggs are fertilized, split then formed into zygotes -> embryos -> fetuses..

They grow, kick and move in a silent womb.

Bones and tissues heal without a sound. Veins transport blood without a hum. Scars, the ultimate sign of a wound healed, become so with no announcement. No audible traces. The injuries that caused them may have clamored, but the scars themselves arrive with calm and stillness. Space especially adheres to the Laws of Quiet. Planets, stars, and galactic whirlpools with all of their mysterious movements, do so non-verbally. No noise. No chatter. No vocal communication.

A shining moon, however enchanting the spell it casts,

Is wordless.

It asks absolutely nothing of echoes.

As for the human connection with silence, we interpret it with many of our senses. It can be felt when someone is angry, (the silent treatment). It's nothingness is a familiar taste to the starving. Without the lingering flavors of eaten food on the tongue, an empty belly can most certainly be a silent one. And of course Silence can be heard, ironically, when all other sound has left.

Although more healing than hurtful, there are downsides to silence. These downsides are more often seen in its results. People who turn a blind eye to children being molested are called "Silent Helpers." When injustices go unmentioned and unchanged, silence can lead to violence or death. After a death has occurred, a moment of silence is a way used to acknowledge the deceased. And of course, the horrible 'Blue Wall of Silence' which is defined as: 'the secrecy of police officers who lie or look the other way to protect other police officers.' One can only guess how many lives this form of silence has damaged and devasted.

And ended.

Silence can signify a lack of awareness, or according to Buddhist teachings, is awareness in its purest form.

When I followed the instructions of my intuition, I could truly hear what was being said by those who spoke to me. It was satisfying to hear-
EMOTION.

I heard the feelings behind words. Not the feelings people want to portray, but the feelings that were honestly there. I heard intentions. I heard  insecurities. I heard ideas and hope. Plans and directions. Mingled in too were vibrations of disappointments. I heard joy and amusement. I simply tuned in. I heard anger, fear and the slow but beaming desires for things to come. Just by listening, my ears interpreted the pride of things accomplished, and the excitement of things to be done. Word-Sound-Power in full effect.

I know there is a reason we have two ears and one mouth.

This is a great thing, this LISTENING.

There are times when verbs and nouns are pushing against our teeth, jumping to be freed. In the spirit of balance, there are times when listening is as important (if not moreso) as speaking.

With enough practice, not only can we hear the true intentions of our fellow man and woman, we can hear the movement and the urgings of the Universe.

With Love and Light I encourage..

Listen Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment